Friday, May 9, 2014

Literature Circle Blog Question #4

There has been a resurgence of popular superhero movies released in the last decade. What, if anything, does this indicate about American society and culture today? Do you believe that the public's demand for heroes (whether real or in pop culture) changes depending upon time and place, or are hero figures a constant? Cite relevant examples to support your position.

56 comments:

  1. I believe that heros will always stay a constant for the simple reason that people always crave the need for a hero figure. The reason I say this is because that I have felt the same human nature. For example when I go to a Marvel movie and I see Iron Man I leave the movie with a sense of safety because in the movie he protects people. But I also leave knowing I will go back and see the next Iron Man that comes out because I felt a personal attachment to the story. I believe that it is this drive that will always keeps heros a constant in our society today and in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, another thing that I believe gives us the want to see these movies, is that we as Americans, want the drama that comes along with the action.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I agree the women love there drama.

      Delete
  2. Little kids always have their favorite super hero, that's just how growing up is. There is always new superhero movies coming out like Batman, Spiderman and Captain American. I think all these movies indicate that American society feels the need to make superhero's feel more real to kids. Even some adults always try and catch the latest superhero movie in theaters and I think for them it just brings back childhood memories. I think the making of the superhero movies is always constant. New versions are being made all of the time and kids always seem to love it so I think kids always think of heros being a constant in their life, because real heros won't ever leave you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think the society tries to make the children believe that they are real?

      Delete
  3. The reoccurrences of superhero movies reflects how society is in America. As young children, many parents tell their children stories about heroes, such as Spiderman. Heroic stories have become so popular because they give children and adults somebody to admire. Heroes are so admirable because they each go through a hardship and always overcome it. I think this type of storyline gives everybody faith to overcome their problems. Stories from the past such as The Odyssey all the way to the present time with the new movie Spiderman have been famous because our society is drawn to heroic stories. As we grow older their will always be stories about heroic characters, but each story will become modernized with the way our society works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that society admires heroes because of their hardships and also that they give others confidence in what they're doing. People have been depending on heroes throughout history. But what do you mean that in the future the heroes will become more modernized?

      Delete
  4. I believe that this if anything, indicates that the American society simply loves the hero archetype. Its almost like we use heroes as role models, and try to be like them in every way. For example, every little kid wants to be spiderman, they dress up like him wal like him, and even try to shoot webs out of their hands. I think that this shows that the public's demand for heroes changes in only one way, we want our heroes bigger and better than the last. A great example for this is batman, every movie that came out, he was better equipped for his mission. This shows that as America advances, our need for bigger and better heroes will too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. American people have always been fans of superheroes since I can remember. Everyday we look up to them and continue to see them because we all dream of having the glamorous life a superhero does. Recently I just saw the new Spiderman movie and something caught my eye. None of us want to be known as invisible and we do whatever it takes to prevent that from happening. We all want to be known as courageous, we all want to fall in love, we all want to be kind, and most importantly the one to be looked up too. Which is why there is always a superhero and villain fighting to be the one on top. When we see this happening is movies all around us we observe and try to form ourselves to be more like that. Which is why I believe that superheroes will never lose their popularity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree with you when you say we want all of those things. I also agree that superheroes will never lose popularity. Do you think people look up to these heroes because they are not content with what they have or do you think they just like seeing what happens in another person's life?

      Delete
  6. The resurgence of the comic book hero genre in movies recently has been a fascinating, growing trend that has began booming since the early 2000’s. And the reason for that is people relate to superheroes in the sense of wish fulfillment. A great example of that wish fulfillment idea is with the superhero Spiderman/ Peter Parker and his journey through the first three Spiderman movies which show some epic hero traits, which makes us relate and want to emulate him. He has those formally mentioned epic hero traits such as gaining an impossible power, and pulling off stunning feats, which causes us to wish that we had those powers too. Those powers mentally make us feel empowered.
    During tragic events, we as Americans want to feel more empowered. Something more evident around the time the second movie was released, which was right after the 9/11 attacks. We as a country felt hurt, and wanted to come closer together. In the second movie this is shown especially with the ad campaign that had a lot of American flags in it, which gave us a sense of pride. Feeling as though Spiderman was a true American Hero, we not only became empowered by him as he overcame the conflicts of Spider Man 2, but also felt as though we as a culture related to him as well.
    And that’s why the public’s demand for heroes will never really change. While comic books and comic book movies haven’t been around for ever, stories have. There have always been heroes, and people ready to relate to them and feel satisfied by their adventures. Hero figures will continue to remain constant, so long as they remain powerful and relatable to the reader, listener, or viewer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, in a way you are saying that we as Americans need not only to feel empowered but also to have the entertainment factor as well, otherwise the empowerment wouldn't be as strong?

      Delete
    2. Sort of! The entertainment factor is meant to give us relatability. If we're bored by the hero, then we don't feel connected to him. His quest won't matter to us and ergo, we won't feel empowered by him either. So entertainment isn't just a stimulus, but also a boost to our well being.

      Delete
  7. I believe that this indicates American society has grown to love Action and Adventure, and they seek the Action and Adventure in super hero movies. The movies revolve around one or two people that save the day by fighting crime and defeating the "bad guy". Super hero movies also appeal to the senses of the people who like the romance involved. They go to see the movie knowing that no good movie has a sad ending, in which they would infer that at the end of the movie the hero gets the girl. I believe that the demand for superhero movies has increased over the last decade because the superhero movies were taken very well when they were first introduced and since then have just became more appealing to the better nature of the creatures of habit we are today. For example if all you watch are superhero movies then you would most likely pay more attention to the new Captain America movie than you would to say the new Frozen movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that no super hero movie has a sad ending. Some seem to trick you, but in the end it was no one dies. Everyone gets what they want except for the bad guy. Do you think the demand for super hero movies will continue to increase?

      Delete
    2. I totally believe that the numbers will increase. If people are satisfied they will come back for more.

      Delete
  8. I believe that America today is beginning to enjoy dramatics even more so than before. We like to believe that we all need saving more than the next guy, because our problems are “worse”. I think that America as a whole believes deep down that we need a hero to rescue us from our problems. With the recession that we are going through more movies and stories are being made and written with a hero who can save everyone and make them happy. I think that these fictional beings can distract us from our own problems for awhile and they seem to make the world out to be not so bad for awhile. I believe that the thought of a “superhero” is just a way to distract us from our real problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your ideas Lizzy! Escapism is a fascinating yet sad trait in our humanity. Things get rough and people want to get away from their anxieties. My question is, what kind of anxieties do these heroes help us escape from? Are they just general ones such as the above mentioned recession, or are they specific and more personal than we would like to admit?

      Delete
    2. This is very true. In society today, we are all trying to run away and hide from the problems we face. Stories with heroes gives us a way to escape our problems and puts the idea in our heads we need to depend on someone else to fix them. Do you think this will stay the same for the next generation with heroic stories?

      Delete
    3. I believe that we also have the need for a sense of security because of our own insecurities and a hero can provide us with that sense of false security.

      Delete
    4. I believe that it really depends on how this generation raises their children to be, if it is anything like what our parents have done then, yes, there will probably still be the feeling of "I need someone else to fix my problems".

      Delete
  9. I believe heroes change upon time and place. I also believe that heroes aren't always remembered. I think with all the recent movies that have been made about "heroes" in our American society are very thought provoking. I believe that legends are better than heroes, in the movie The Sandlot a famous quote was made, that quote is, "Heroes get remembered but legends never die." I believe that this has big impact on the american society. I think what they were trying to say is that heroes will get remembered for what they did but legends do something that changes the world in some type away which I think should be more relevant to the American society. I do believe though that heroes have an impact on how a legend is made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we didn't have heros in todays society how do you think it would be different for us?

      Delete
  10. I believe when something bad in the world is happening (like war) there are more superhero idealistic things being made. Whether it be a new superhero being created or just another movie with a superhero in it. During a bad time in life others may create this “god like” figures for people to look up to for good vibes, especially children. Because children look up to adults and everything that influences or inspires them. For example most boys have some sort of superhero birthday party in their lifetime. They always want to be like that one superhero who they idolize so much because the superhero character has idolized them. I think with Iraq, the shooting, or just the governmental inflation in economy heroic ideals are needed for people’s hope and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So how do you think this will affect the demand for superhero movies......?

      Delete
  11. I think that heroes, in our society, will remain. Every time a new Iron Man, Spiderman, Captain America or Thor comes out, there is always another one. All age groups can enjoy watching a super hero movie. It seems in every movie they can make it relate to a real life situation. They make them seem like real people that are actually out there. Little kids believe its true at sometimes. I think heros will remain a constant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are some examples on how the movies relate to real life situations?

      Delete
    2. They help society in a variety of ways that our cops or officers would, just without the super powers.

      Delete
  12. I think Americans today are looking for a hero. There isn’t much great leadership in the government, and most people aren’t happy with what has been going on. Movies about heros are the most popular way of entertainment because it helps us imagine how cool the world would be if there was a hero. On the other side, hero movies are very simple, which is why Hollywood loves to make them. The heros and villains and plot were made up years ago by the old famous comics. Now all they need is some good actors, a director, and a hundred million dollars and a great movie/profit is made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that people in other countries would have the same response? Is their need for heroes the same as ours?

      Delete
    2. Well obviously every situation is unique, but I think that we are all human and we all have very similar psychological needs. So yes, I think that people in other countries would have a similar response.

      Delete
  13. Heros are all ways the guy who runs in and fights he bad guys. In all of the super hero movies it is all ways the same and will stay that way, with a quick chase after bad guys running from the hero and the hero catching them. What varies is if the bad guy is captured or killed in the end, they are normally captured but inside Grand Torino, the guy sacrifices him self so his neighbors would be safe from the gangs and the gang members would go to prison and not abuse people in the town. In the hurt locker is another more realistic hero with the guy who disarms bombs and saves random civilians from the crazy religion they have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan, that kind of supports my statement that all superhero movies are simple and easy to think up.

      Delete
    2. Not all heroes use violence in their actions. One example of a hero that avoids violence at all costs is The Doctor. The Doctor has high regard for all life and is quick to forgive. I think that many heroes might get more done if they were like him, and less would wish revenge on him.

      Delete
  14. We are a democracy the government dose not lead the people of the United States. But I do agree that Hollywood makes millions of dollars from these movies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If we were truly led by the people and just the people the United States of America would have died years ago. The people elect LEADERS to LEAD. That is why we pay them all of our tax dollars. When they don't lead, we get upset.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel that superheros will always remain a constant theme in society. This is because there will always be this push on children to look up to this kind, generous, helpful character. No one wants their kids looking up to a poor role model, so superheros are a easy way to get the main point across to young children that otherwise would have a hard time trying to understand the point you are trying to get across. It reflects on society that there is this large push to make society a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this indicates that people in this world look up to heroes. Even though many of these movies are fictional we still look to find someone to be like. These films give us great examples of how to live our lives by always having a good guy fix what the bad guy creates. I also think heroes will always be a constant thing, and will eventually become even more popular than what they are now. More and more people look to fictional characters to set an example for themselves. Children have even begun to dress as these characters for Halloween rather than something scarier and many children have Batman and Superman bedrooms or toys. Teenagers even have phone cases with superhero logos. Also, with the amount of money the film industry is raking in with these superhero movies, they will never stop making them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. America, Built by heros, Travled by heros, Governed by heros (not many), and defended by heros. Our culture and society revolves around those heros shaping the way we live. And the need for these heros are constant even though the intensity of which they are needed differs on time and place. Such as the need for the heroic military is constant yet I would not need them if i couldn't decide on which kind of bread to get at the store. Or also I wouldn't want the government heros to come and aid me for pulling weeds out my yard. Its all time and place now I would need the military if America was being invaded, well we would all need them, and once the invasion is over there is not much use of them. So all in all heros are at a constant need but not always needed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dylan AppenzellerMay 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

    I believe that heroes will always stay a constant in our society. People will always want a hero figure in their life that they can look up to and strive to act like and be like. These heroes can be both real, and made up in the movies or comics. A hero can be anyone from a parent or sibling to Superman or a professional athlete. Most people's usually choose their hero because they can make a personal connection to them and are usually where they want to end up when they get older. So yes, I think that the publics demand for heroes will always stay a constant.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe that heroes will stay constant in our culture. We need somebody to look up to and save the day. Some examples of a superhero type that people could look up to is Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America, or Superman. People are drawn to heroes because they are very relatable, and because they overcome obstacles and do the impossible, when nobody seemed to think they could. They would save us if we were threatened or in danger. I think throughout history, people have come up with heroes to be role models, and will keep doing it for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Throughout history it has been shown that heroes are always there but not always noticed in the world. For the most part people are always searching for a heroic figure whether it’s someone to look up to or for other reasons. But in movies and such it depends on mainly what’s made is what’s demanded by the people of the time. A lot of times people see a possible threat, like they might think of terrorist so they create a hero that will fight against terrorism and such.

    ReplyDelete
  22. For entertainment, only superheros. But people sometimes need that in a movie or kind of movie cause now they're getting more badass and not as childish anymore and that has changed because now a days it seems like there's a much different age of people going to watch those movies because the content of them is so much more different than it used to be and people like that more now. But I don't know because honestly I don't really understand the question but I think heros are always in the constant need for people because everyone wants someone to look up to or respect more for what good they did. And people now are to me finally growing up and not believing some of the crap that superhero's do and have finally realized that superhero's are fiction and are used for entertainment reasons. I'm not saying no one shouldn't have their favorite superhero, I do, but there's a time when you just got to face the fact that there's actual heros out there that will actually do something and help or save something or someone, or whatever it is that really makes you look up to them and have them kinda be a role model, not superhero stuff they aren't really role models sometimes cause it's unbelievable so I think the term hero is changing and people are needing the other hero. The real kind of hero, not superhero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree yet there are some traits a superhero has that people look up to and try to have such as honesty and bravery. But you are right not every superhero (or almost any superhero) are sought out to be just like them, other than little kids, and that the real heros are now becoming found.

      Delete
  23. Superhero movies are for fun and entertainment. To those younger, they may take it personally and find it inspirational. But the movies are not asking for someone to rise up and be a superhero. Life is not always a happy place and it isn’t a fairytale. This is what James, the author of the book The Color of Water figured out: “I kept away from the hang-out crowd and dealt with my music, focusing on tenor sax and trombone, which I picked up in order to play in the marching band. The change was good for me and I gave up weed and drinking for the discipline of music” (183). He made his life into something worthwhile. The demand for heroes does not change in different time periods. Everyone goes through a lot and there are always struggles but it doesn’t change over time. Some people today don’t have any worse problems than some people back then. But the amount of people that are struggling is less today than back then.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Xavier
    I think that heros aren't suppose to people lives because people shouldn't depend on a super hero. One of the reason is when people need to fix their own problem and don't need a super hero. The one of the reason is that people need super heros of their desires and to have false hope to believe in something that not or others. Things that people believe want to believe is right but wrong because they do not want to have to take care of the problem later. People should to fix their own problems and not have a super hero to do it.

    ReplyDelete

  25. The resurgence of superhero movies in the last decade indicates that humans rely upon the idea of heroes. I do not think the public’s demand for superheroes and heroes in general changes upon time and place. The demand for superheroes is constant, both children and adults go to watch the movies and as far as I can tell both get excited about them. I think superhero movies also inspire children to be a hero and are a role model to society. Most people would love to have the same characteristics, qualities and superpowers that a hero has, but that is not reality. Reality doesn’t have that kind of superheroes. I think this fact is what drives society to watch them, they like the idea of superheroes being real, and ideas are what makes the world how it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Humans like to have someone that they want to be like. They want someone to look up to, maybe that person has an admirable trait like courage and bravery, or a superpower such as flying. Many times the writer gives the hero a superpower he wants, and gives him a trait he admires himself. This shows that people like to feel secure and safe which superheroes give them because generally the superhero wins. Most of the time superheroes will be a constant with traits like bravery.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I believe that heroes will stay constant in our society. Everyone needs someone to look up to for anything and thats what a hero does. As in movies, we always need someone there with us to save the day and help us through some things, I think that’s how it’ll always stay in the future. Sometimes movies change the way you think on many things because it’s so unreal you want it be real. I think people raise their standards on what a hero should be when all it needs to be is someone who will help you through the times you need someone. Movies with heroes will never stop, they’re too popular for young children or adults.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I believe that our society always has a constant desire to feel secure and protected. Because of this, we create or look up to superheroes to personify that feeling of security and safety. Superheroes and their stories have always been popular in American culture, however they're recently becoming prominent again as a result of the trending success that such products have had. For example, people look up to characters such as Superman because he has the ability to fly, among other superpowers. Because he's able to have these extraordinary powers, people see more of a reason to look up to him as a hero and connect the character to aspects of their own life to feel a sense of security themselves, whether they do so subconsciously or not. I believe that this will always be a characteristic of American society.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think that their will always be heroes being created and used. One reason is that they are entertaining; liking heroes is common, especially in movies with lots of action. Another reason is they are a good way to get an idea across. Using good heroes who are kind can tell the audience that kindness is a good thing that can get you far in life.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Heroes are commonly thought of and made up as superficial beings with powers and/or abilities that are more or less completely impossible to achieve as a normal human. They give people a sense of safety and admiration, which may be why the demand for them is so large in American culture. Most people may not feel that they have or can ever achieve the level of bravery and strength that heroes have, so they feed that desire into creating or indulging themselves in a fictional being who can.
    Heroes also do change depending on the time and place. They’re beings made up to satisfy the needs or wants of those who created them or even the people whom they’re creators are directing the heroes to. Of course, everyone has different needs and wants, as well as situations change,, so its only reasonable that Heroes would change along with these root changes.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Super heros are always changing due to the time changing as well. I feel as is superheros are changing from demand of children and finding their most common interest in them. The demand of superheros do differ and change depending on what is hot and what is in today. People tend to find their heros in people they look up to weither they have an inspiring story, on how they look, or just simply their secert weapons. The demand for superheros differs between age groups, to younger children they don't care about some inspiring story all they want them to be is like Spider man or Batman, superheros that look cool and can do cool things. As in with teenagers and adults our hero is someone like a solider or someone who has done a lot for us, we look more for heros in their story and background. Not what they look like and the cool things they can do.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Heroes are every where you go, whether you know them or not they are everywhere. They could be your neighbors, your teachers, your parents, your siblings, they could even be the clerk at the grocery store. A hero isn't just someone who has super powers or who's strong, a hero could be the weakest person you know. Heroes are people who sacrifice themselves for other people's needs or someone who is willing to go above and beyond what they're supposed to do to help someone else. A hero is not someone who does things to get publicity or rich, it is not someone who will do something as long as they get something out of it. In the movies, the heroes are good looking, strong and have super powers. A hero is a soldier, a nurse, a firefighter, a police officer, any one who is risking them selves to protect what they think is right.

    ReplyDelete