Friday, April 25, 2014

Heroes of To Kill a Mockingbird

The uniting idea of English 2A is heroism. We have read three works of literature, each showcasing a very different kind of hero. Odysseus is a classic example of the epic hero, while Creon serves as an example of the tragic hero. Who is the hero of To Kill a Mockingbird? What kind of hero is this character? Epic? Tragic? Something new? Does the character possess any qualities of either the epic of tragic hero? Refer to the blogging handout you received in class today to compose a one-paragraph response to this question. Be sure to use textual evidence to support your view. Comment on at least one other classmate's post and respond to any and all comments you receive regarding your own post.

65 comments:

  1. Scout and Atticus are the two main heroes of the novel. In a sense, while the outcome of Atticus's attempts to defend Tom Robinson are tragic, Atticus is not a tragic hero. He doesn't have a core flaw that leads to his downfall. But he doesn't fall into the patterns of an epic hero either. He and Scout are both contemporary protagonists, with Scout as something more or less, "coming of age," while Atticus I'm not sure of. What do you all think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What specifically do you think makes Jem and Scout heroes?

      Delete
  2. Scout and Atticus are the main two heroes of To Kill a Mockingbird. Atticus is not a tragic hero for he has no tragic flaws, even though his attempts to save the life of Tom Robinson failed it did not lead to his downfall. Scout is not a tragic hero either for she too has no tragic flaws. But neither of them are epic heros. This leads me to believe they are another type of heros, I'm just not sure what kind. Do any of you have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if maybe Atticus's tragic flaw is his unwavering belief in the fairness of the criminal justice system. He believes that in court all men are created equal, but the jury's verdict in the Tom Robinson case proves him wrong.

      Delete
    2. I would have to say Atticus is an inspirational hero, if that's actually a thing. You can look up any informational site about the book or just Atticus and they talk about how inspiring he is. I'm not so sure about Scout though. She is definitely unique. I also don't know of many heroes that are as young as she is, so it's hard to find someone to compare her to.

      Delete
  3. In my opinion I think that Arthur Radely could be an epic hero because he ends up saving the day, but it isn't in the greatest of way. He saves both Jem and Scout but kills Mr.Ewell in the process. A different type of hero might be Heck Tate. I can understand how you might get confused by this but at the end of the book he is defending Arthur Radely. He does not want to make the situation worse for Arthur. By doing this he does not want to tell anyone about the incident other than Mr. Ewell fell on his own knife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's an interesting idea saying that Arther Radley could be an epic hero figure. He didn't intentionally kill Mr. Ewell, he just wanted to save Scout and Jem. Heck Tate is a good example too. At the end of the book, he doesn't want people to bother the Radley Family with another court case, he just wants the best for them. Like Scout said, it would be like killing a mockingbird.

      Delete
  4. Atticus is the main hero of the novel. He even kind of has a tragic flaw and that is shown when he attempts to defend Tom Robinson outside the court house but because scout was there and did that whole talk to Mr. Cunningham. This also makes Scout possibly the hero. In a sense Boo could be the hero as well. I don't remember what epic hero means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would his failure to defend Tom Robinson necessarily be a flaw though? It seems more like a personal failure to me. A tragic flaw is more like a, "defect," in one's personality.

      Delete
    2. An epic hero is a hero that an epic is based on (a long story with elevated language in a land where characters are extraordinarily as well as the events. What is Atticus's tragic flaw? Could it be his lack of defense, or his being prepared to defend others, but not himself?

      Delete
    3. the definition of a tragic flaw is that a tragic flaw is usually a mistake or error in judgement, according to the internet. Atticus misjudged the people that were going to kill Tom, Atticus though by showing the people that he was smart would make them agree with his opinion and he was wrong. Harper Lee might have actually wrote the original book so they kill Atticus and Tom Robinson but he might not have liked how it ended, so he rewrote it to say what it does now. Where Scout saves Atticus and stops the mob, which shows that Atticus might be a true modern tragic hero if this Lee's changes are correct. It's something to consider. Also according to this definition you would be kind of agreeing with me; My reply to Brian's comment is that To Kill a Mockingbird is not anywhere near an epic story, and there is nobody that is an epic hero in To kill a Mockingbird

      Delete
  5. I think the main hero in To Kill a Mockingbird is Atticus. He is an epic hero who possess very human, but important qualities. He is very determined and will try his best raising Scout and Jem. Atticus is also very accepting of people. When he took Tom Robinson's case, he actually tried to help him, like he would to for anybody else. He understands the world and accepts it but he will be his own person and to what he thinks is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the phrase in your post, "He is an epic hero who possess[es] very human but important qualities." Epic heroes typically have larger than life, supernatural qualities about them, but maybe it's Atticus's humanity that makes him heroic.

      Delete
    2. That's exactly what I was thinking. His humanity might seem like a small thing, but in reality it's a quality that makes him become a heroic figure to Scout, Jem, and the Maycomb County.

      Delete
  6. I think that Tom Robinson is the hero of the book To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Tom is a tragic hero that undergoes trials, both literal and metaphorical, but doesn’t come out alive in the end. The black society seemed to look up to him, displayed by the number of black people who showed up to the court case and by Reverend who supported him. This shows that he has people looking up to him like many tragic heroes have. Tom also had a fatal, or tragic flaw. Tom's flaw was that he was too kind in helping others, and didn’t hesitate to help others. The first time he showed this flaw was when Mayella invited him into the Ewells yard to help him. During this time Tom, being black, should have hesitated to help her, however he didn’t. The second time he showed this flaw was the last day he helped Mayella and she invited him into the house. Instead of harming her to get out, or leaving as soon as things got suspicious he stayed to see if there was anything else he could do. This is all evidence that Tom Robinson is the best choice for the hero of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you brought up Tom Robinson as being a tragic hero. I agree with you, Tom as well as Arthur Radley play a major role in the lessons that Scout learns. I also understand why you say that his tragic flaw is being too kind but I don't consider being too kind a bad thing, even if it sometimes leads to trouble. Do you believe that being too kind is a bad trait to possess?

      Delete
    2. I think that being kind can and tends to be a good quality to have. However their is a point where kindness can go too far. For example: putting your own life in danger for something trivial from the kindness of your heart. I do think that it is a good thing to be kind, because kindness can get you a long way in life, however certain situations, such as the one Tom found himself in, can shorten your life significantly.

      Delete
  7. Author Radley is the epic hero in my opinion. Although he didn't come out much, he was still around. When Mrs. Maudie's house caught fire, he came out and put a blanket over Scout when she was cold. When Jem and Scout were walking home and Bob Ewell tried to hurt them, Mr. Radley was there to protect them. Mr. Radley killed Bob, but he still saved the children from being hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel that Scout could be a main hero, and Thomas Robinson I think is a tragic hero in a sense. But scout isn't really an epic hero. Jem isn't an epic hero either but he might be somewhat of a tragic hero. Scout proves she is a hero a few times during the book, but Atticus isn't really a hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What textual evidence could demonstrate that Scout is a hero? I like the idea of Jem as a tragic hero. What's the support in the novel for that idea?

      Delete
    2. Jem being a tragic hero is the way he believes that there are multiple kinds of people, the part about what he feels that he has realized what people are like is his tragic flaw.

      Delete
  9. I believe that Atticus is the hero in this book, because he helps the children through their had or confusing times. Atticus doesn't have the super powers, but I think if he were to have one it'd be his glasses. Because they help him see clear through life aspects. Atticus is not only a hero that his children look up to, but the county of Maycomb look up to. Atticus was a hero to Tom Robinson also because Atticus, as a white man, was deciding to defend a black man. Atticus may not be your typical hero, but he is a sensitive hero for the kids in hearing and understanding Jem and Scout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of Atticus's glasses as the special weapon for an epic hero. I agree - they help him see clearly, and as a symbol for intelligence, they show that knowledge is more powerful than brute force and violence.

      Delete
    2. Or maybe by teaching Jem and Scout, Atticus is the "supernatural help," like Athena is for Odysseus.

      Delete
  10. I believe that the two most important heroes in To Kill A Mockingbird are Boo Radley and Tom Robinson. Boo Radley is an example of an epic hero because of how he saved the children. However, what I find really neat about his character is that even though the whole town judges him he still shows kindness to people, as well as protecting the ones who need it. Tom Robinson is a tragic hero because he died innocent just because he was black. What makes him a hero though is that a lot of people were fond of him and his case as well as him dying I believe gave some people a different perspective of blacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your idea about Boo Radley being the hero. His struggle could be that then town judges him. Also, his supernatural help could be the children because it gave him a hobby and may have saved himself. In the end, he saved the children from Bob Ewell.

      Delete
    2. I never thought about the children being his help, but I definitely see it now! I wonder why he likes to protect the children, but stays quiet from everyone else. Why do you think he is like that? Do you think that it was to give people a different view point about himself? Or maybe he believes they are the only ones not brainwashed? What's your opinion?

      Delete
    3. I really like your idea about Tom Robinson being a hero. That was a good idea. I agree that it was very tragic that he was accused of being guilty just because he was black. Also with Boo Radley, he was a hero when he saved Jem and Scout from being attacked by Mr. Ewell. That was very brave of him because he hadn't been outside in so long. I don't think he meant to kill Mr.Ewell though. I think it may have been an accident that just happened in the middle of the chaos.

      Delete
  11. I tend to learn towards Boo Radley being the hero. Even though he doesn't come out and show much in the book, the little things he does for the children and they don't even know it is touching. Everyone seemed to believe that Boo was a terrible person from the talk that everyone said and the fact that he never came out so everyone was scared of the house and the people in it. When all Boo did was care for those children and was never going to harm them. Like when he sewed together Jem's pants when they ripped, when he gave Skout a blanket during the fire, and putting the little items in the knothole to excite the children. All Boo wanted to do was make the kids like him and not be scared of him. He was more scared of the outside world then the children for example when he asked Skout to take him home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe that Atticus is the hero of this novel because he offers a lot of insight to various characters throughout the entire plot. Not only does he do well in advising his own children, but he also offers his intelligence to the other members of Maycomb county. He doesn't specifically fit the characteristics of an epic or a tragic hero, but he does possess heroic characteristics. For example, he showed a great amount of bravery by standing up in defense of a black man in that time period where something of that sort would be frowned upon. Although other characters could be seen as heroes throughout this book, I believe Atticus plays a large role in offering great insight and life lessons that anyone can take from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I agree especially with what you said about Atticus providing insight.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you especially about him offering intelligence to the other members of the county.

      Delete
    3. Thank you both! I definitely believe that Atticus offers great advice to many characters and even the readers themselves.

      Delete
  13. A hero is someone who has done something no one else would do. There were two people in this book that really stuck out to me as a hero. The first, Scout, she potentially saved Tom Robinson's life, possibly Atticus's life as well, and Jem from embarrassment. She not only helped her family, but also Mr. Cunningham and many older men realize the wrong they had done; "'I'll tell him you said hey, little lady,' he said. Then he straightened up and waved a big paw, 'Let's clear out,' he called. 'Let's get going, boys.'" It was because of her innocence that saved them during the moment. The second hero in this book is Mr. Radley, also known as Boo Radley. He saved Scout and Jem's life from Bob and also encouraged them in several different ways throughout their lives. I do not believe that they can be classified as an epic hero or tragic hero but as maybe something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what other resources online might have information about other types of literary heroes...

      Delete
    2. When I looked up other heroes, I found some that definitely fit the description of Scout and Boo Radley. A classic hero is someone whom everyone knows and expects to be a hero. This is a description that fits Scout very well. She is innocent but strong and brave. Boo Radley would be classified as an everyman hero. He is someone who no one would expect at the beginning or the end to be a hero. No one would expect him to go out of his home and save the children being brave and acting in the moment. But he did, which made him a hero.

      Delete
  14. Atticus, though he is not the main character, is a hero of To Kill a Mockingbird. Throughout the story, both Jem and Scout learn many things about life through Atticus. Atticus inspires his children and other readers through not only his teachings, but through his way of living. I think Atticus' special power, though not super, is his heart. Atticus cares about everybody, and he does his best to stand for what he thinks is right in his heart. Atticus is neither a epic or a tragic hero. He doesn't win but he doesn't lose because of a fatal mistake either. If I had to label it, I would call Atticus an inspirational hero, because his morals and heart inspired Jem, Scout, and millions of readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comment, especially with the part where you said that Atticus inspires people through his lifestyle as well as through his advice. I believe that Atticus is a character with a lot to offer.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you that Atticus helps his children learn life lessons through the book. But I don't agree with Atticus special power being his heart. I believe Atticus's special power would be his glasses because they help him see clearly not only physically but mentally. Also since Atticus views the world clearly will help him to be able to teach the ways of life clearly to his children.

      Delete
    3. I really like how you talk about how Atticus inspires a lot of people inside and outside of the book. Do you think Atticus is the only character that Harper Lee uses as a character to bring out life lessons in her novel?

      Delete
  15. I think that the hero in TKM is Boo Radley. This is because, although he is rarely seen throughout the novel, he does a lot for the kids. First of all he covered up Scout during the fire to keep her warm. Lastly, and most importantly, he saved the kids' lives. I also believe that Boo is a new type of character that we have not discussed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. I believe that Boo Radley is one of the heroes. But I don't know how I would classify him. He does help save their lives and do nice gestures like putting a blanket on them to keep them warm, but I feel there is a little more to what he has done. He has inspired them and gives them an interest when he gives them the toys and trinkets. I think there is a symbol meaning, but I don't know exactly what. What are your thoughts? What kind of hero would you call him? Passionate? Or what other things do you believe Boo did do for the kids, if any?

      Delete
    2. I think Boo would fall under the tragic hero because of his past but that is only if you belive the rumours

      Delete
    3. I do agree Boo is one of the heroes. That's a very good point, but I believe Scout would be the hero because she changed the mobs decision when they went for Tom Robinson. She saved a life with her powerful innocence

      Delete
    4. Those are both good points but im still unsure about the classification.

      Delete
  16. I believe that both Atticus and Scout were hero's throughout the book. Scout was able to save Atticus's life by clearing the whole town away from him with her innocence. Atticus showed his heroism by defending a black man while the entire town was threatening him and going against him. Atticus doesn't fit under the tragic hero or epic hero, he is more of an inspirational hero. Scout doesn't fit under these types of hero's either but I'm not quite sure what kind she is. What do you guys think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But isn't Scout like that because of all the older women and also Atticus influencing her?

      Delete
  17. In Harper Lee's novel, To kill a mockingbird I believe Boo Bradley is the tragic hero. Boo Radley is the major interest at the beginning of the story. He is a type of hero that never talks or is seen but more of a symbol. He sort of fades away in the middle of the story but returns and saves the children. This shows that Boo has been watching the children throughout the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there anything else at the beginning of the book that portrays him as a hero?

      Delete
  18. In Harper Lee's Novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, there is many heros being Atticus Finch, Arthur (Boo) Radley, Miss Muadie, and Jem Finch. Atticus isn't a tragic nor epic hero, he is just a man that is looked upon by almost all for help/advice. Such as Mr. Cunningham asking for aid and Heck Tate handing the rifle to Atticus. Arthur, though not being in much of the novel cares for Jem and Scout. Like when Jem lost his pants in Arthur's yard and them being all torn up Arthur made an attempt to sew them back up and also when he goes outside the night of Jem's incident to defend off their attacker. Miss Maudie is Scout's role model, she helps Scout through some weird times in her life and help her mature a little also called coming of age. I prove this by when Jem and Dill start excluding Scout on almost everything they do saying its "boy stuff", Miss Maudie gave Scout some advice. And Jem, the boy who quickly and suddenly becomes a man, is a hero because he like Miss Maudie is also a role model showing Scout that she needs to grow up sometime. This happens when Jem is with Scout at Tim Robinson's trial, having Scout see that its a big and bad world out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i thought this review was good. It was funny.

      Delete
  19. In Harper Lee's novel To Kill a Mockingbird, I believe that Tom Robinson is the hero. I believe that he is an excellent example of a tragic hero. His unquestionable need to help Mayella blinds him from the danger that he risks by helping her behind her father's back. When asked to do an odd job for Mayella he doesn't realize that her father doesn't approve. Thus making him more vulnerable and willing to help her without questioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe Atticus is the hero in To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. Atticus to me is the hero because even though he had little to no chance of proving Tom Robinson guilty he still tried and didn't give up until the trail was over. I also think that Atticus had an impact on Jem and Scout. I think they looked at all people the same and they respected blacks unlike other whites because of the Tom Robinson trail. Even though other whites looked down on Atticus because of what he was doing he still kept with it and I think that's the biggest thing that made him a hero in the book whether he won the trail or not.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought that Atticus was the hero or maybe even Boo. If Boo was the hero of the story then I think that it would be a trajic hero, just the thing is that we didnt see the trajic thing happen to him. If Atticus is the hero then he would be a epic hero or a trajic hero. I guess it all depends how you look at it, because he is a single parent and his kids nearly die at the end but you might look at it as Calpurnia is close enough to a mother figure and that the kids didnt die so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur Radley really isn't a tragic hero but he could be considered a hero for killing Bob Ewell. Which one do you think Atticus is more of tragic or epic? and how does him being a single parent really effect him being an epic or tragic hero because he is a single parent and the fact Scout and Jem almost or possibly could have died?

      Delete
  22. In my opinion, Arthur Radley is a hero in the novel To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. He is not a tragic hero or an epic hero, he is Scout's hero. He saves both Jem and Scout from Mr. Ewell, wraps a towel around Scout while Miss Maudie's house is on fire, and leaves trinkets for them in the tree. This shows that he saves Scout's innocence because she realizes a lesson about judgement. When she finally meets Arthur he asks her to walk him home and she then understands he's not as bad as people have judged him to be. Without all Arthur's contributions to helping Scout then I don't think that lesson could've been learned as easily.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I believe Scout is the hero in this story because she is experiencing many different opinions but she doesn't let one change hers. She's growing up and believes her own things and that allows her to seem strong.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I believe Scout is the hero because she maintains her innocence throughout the book. She doesn't let people change what she thinks even when she hears many opinions. It shows her strong ability to hold on.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Boo Radley is most definitely a tragic hero in Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Throughout the book he is misjudged as an entirely bad person or at least just strange. but he's the one who saves Jem near the end of the book when him and Jem are attacked by Bob Ewell. He shows he cares about Scout and Jem throughout the book as well, from putting the little treasures inside the tree knot to draping a blanket over Scout to keep her warm while the fire was going on. The book shows very well that the hero doesn't have to the be the main character or even the main focus of the story, just like Boo Radley is.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that Jem is a tragic hero. I believe this because, though he is young, he is always doing his best to help others. His tragic downfall would be his age. He doesn't have enough understanding of the world to be the hero he's trying to be. Eventually he does begin to grow up and looks to Atticus to help him become even more of a hero than he already is. I think Atticus is also a hero. Not only does he try and be the perfect parent since their mother is gone, but he takes a risk and tries to save someone who no one else would, in this era, even think to be willing to save.

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I looked up other heroes, I found some that definitely fit the description of Scout and Boo Radley. A classic hero is someone whom everyone knows and expects to be a hero. This is a description that fits Scout very well. She is innocent but strong and brave. Boo Radley would be classified as an everyman hero. He is someone who no one would expect at the beginning or the end to be a hero. No one would expect him to go out of his home and save the children being brave and acting in the moment. But he did, which made him a hero.

    ReplyDelete
  28. In To Kill a Mockingbird I think Atticus is the hero. He's an epic hero, he really puts an new look on somethings that weren't clear before and really shows the kids how their mannerism effects others and how they should act properly. Atticus has the kids respect everyone, even if they don't get respect from that person. Atticus is the total opposite as Creon in Antigone. Creon had power but he abused it and ruined peoples lives, but Atticus has power I think because he helps people and is the more mature person. With power a mature person is great with it, like Atticus, but you throw in a mop like Creon then it's a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I believe Atticus is the true hero in To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. He shows Scout and Jem how not everyone is the same. He tries to teach Scout that in order to understand someone, you have to walk in their shoes. You have to see things from their perspective. In the end, Scout finally sees what Atticus has been trying to teach her all along. When she takes "Boo" home, she stands on the front steps and sees things from his point of view. Atticus taught her a good lesson in life, to not judge.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I believe that Atticus is a hero in To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. He sets a new description on things that weren’t quite making sense before. He knows how to say things and how to word them. He doesn’t want anyone thinking they aren’t apart of anyone. I think he shows he’s more of a real hero than Creon because he doesn’t abuse his power like Creon did. He had respect from others and for himself. He was more mature in the way he dealt with things. He didn’t give up either, he kept trying to prove that Tom Robinson was not guilty until the trial was over. To me, that’s a real hero.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Boo Radley is a n epic hero in To Kill a Mockingbird. At the end of the day, Jem and Scout probably would have died if it weren't for Arthur being there and saving them. When Jem and Scout were walking home from the school program, they heard someone walking behind them. When it got quiet they heard the person behind them running and then they fell and were attacked. Then, the next morning they found out that it was Bob Ewell because he was laying under the tree that they were attacked at and had a knife in him. They eventually found out that it was Arthur Radley that stabbed him and saved the kids.

    ReplyDelete